Database development and training for Birmingham and the midlands
Specialists in Microsoft Access and Visual Foxpro database training and development
I am happy to hear from existing clients but I am taking no new calls.
Here are ten things that we all know are wrong but which keep catching us out.
- Include your database in the project and wonder why you cannot create a new view.
- Put a SKIP inside a SCAN loop. SCAN performs an implicit SKIP so that you process every alternate record.
- Write an expression in the View or Query Designer and run the query. Fox won't remind you to press the 'Add' button.
- Use a COPY TO without having specified a path and lose your files. Fox will probably put them in C:\Program Files\Visual Studio\VFP.
- Declare the array as LOCAL laTemp before executing a COPY TO ARRAY and just get a single field in the array. Unlike most other array commands, COPY TO ARRAY doesn't resize the array automatically. Use SELECT ... INTO ARRAY instead.
- Concatenate the FirstName and LastName fields and forget to trim the spaces so you get 'John_____Smith_____'
- Concatenate the trimmed FirstName and LastName fields and forget to put a space between them so you get 'JohnSmith'
- Use an SQL SELECT statement as the RowSource for a Combo or ListBox but forget an 'INTO CURSOR Dummy' clause. The SQL will display its output in a Browse window because that's the default destination.
- Type SELECT Customer IN 0 and start processing Customer records. You are (of course) not in the Customer work area.
- Use LIST TO FILE and forget the NOCONSOLE option. You'll get all the information streamed to the active form.